The Makerere University Data Science Research Training Program to Strengthen Evidence-Based Health Innovation, Intervention, and Policy (MakDARTA) is a training grant funded by the NIH/Fogarty (Grant Number 1U2RTW012116-01) as part of a broader initiative entitled Harnessing Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa (DS-I Africa). The grant is a collaborative effort of multiple Principal Investigators from Makerere University, Uganda and Johns Hopkins University, (JHU) the USA. The MakDARTA program aims to train graduate students in data science but also develop sustainable health data science programs at the Makerere University College of Health Sciences (MakCHS).
This program is currently soliciting applications from suitably qualified Ugandans eligible for enrolment, or currently enrolled in Master’s degree programs in Biomedical / Public Health/Medicine and/or other Data-intensive disciplines e.g. Bioinformatics, statistics, Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics, Computer Science, Radiology, Clinical Immunology, Pathology etc, and are interested in the application of data science analytics and methods to their research projects. Successful candidates must fulfill the eligibility criteria below: -
Track 1: Candidates already enrolled in a Master’s Degree Program
● Enrolled in an ongoing Master’s degree program
● Completed the first year of training in any of the above-mentioned data-intensive disciplines.
● Demonstrated interest in applying data science analytics and methods in health care research. Should have a dissertation concept note that applies data science approach /methods.
● Must be a Ugandan national with a commitment to working in and advancing research in Africa
Track 2: Candidate eligible for enrollment
· Submitted application for admission to Makerere University (The award will come into effect following successful admission).
· Brief concept (2 pages) for intended research study
- Must be a Ugandan national with a commitment to working in and advancing research in Africa
Please email your application as follows:
● CV (maximum of 2 pages)
● A cover letter with motivation statement (1 page) and mentorship plan (1 page)
● 2-page research concept outlining specific aims, research, and analysis plan.
● Certificates and Academic Transcripts for the relevant Bachelor’s degree; University admission letter for Track 1 application and proof of University graduate application submission for Track 2 applicants
● Letters of recommendation with daytime contact details from three academic referees.
Make the subject of the email: APPLICATION-Masters-Scholarship–MakDARTA
All documents must be labeled as applicant last Name_first Name_document Name (e.g. Batte_Charles_Application-Masters. Batte_Charles_CV.pdf, etc.)