Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) organizes a World Antibiotic Awareness Week that takes place every year in November. This year, the event will be celebrated between 12-18 November 2018. Member countries celebrate this week by organizing local events for awareness about antimicrobial resistance at national level. This year, Uganda will organize the 3rd of such events. The 3rd National Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) Conference 2018 for Uganda is proudly hosted by Makerere University College of Health Science (CHS) in partnership with One Health Central and Eastern Africa (OHCEA, http://ohcea.org). OHCEA is an international network of universities in eight African countries and 16 Universities including Makerere University. OHCEA champions the One Health practice with an overall goal of building future leaders with capacity to address complex global health challenges through trans-disciplinary collaboration.
The 3rd National AMR Conference follows two previous conferences, the most recent hosted by Mbarara University of Science and Technology in Mbarara in November 2017 and the inaugural conference hosted by Busitema University in Mbale, in November 2016. This year’s conference will be held at Hotel Africana in Kampala on November 21 – 22. This year’s conference theme will be Understanding Drivers and Collective Action against Antimicrobial Resistance. At this conference, the National One Health Platform will also launch the National Action Plan (NAP) against Antimicrobial Resistance. This conference will also showcase one health initiatives in the country.
Registration and abstracts
8 August 2018
Call for abstracts online at the website, start of submission of abstracts
30 September 2018
Deadline for submission of abstracts
15 October 2018
Notification of acceptance of abstracts
21st October 2018
Full scientific program published on website
15th November 2018
Deadline for conference registration
We would like to invite as many delegates as possible.
Please, contact the conference secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The organizing committee invites submission of abstracts for the 3rd National AMR Conference to be held at Hotel Africana, Kampala, Uganda from 21st -22nd November, 2018
Click HERE to submit an abstract.
Guidelines for abstract submission
Please take time to read this section thoroughly before making your submission since there are several key issues highlighted below:
- Each abstract will be peer reviewed for (a) scientific content, (b) the scientific merit of the research and relevance to AMR, and (c) adherence to recommended formatting rules highlighted below. The decision to accept or reject an abstract rests with the scientific program organizers.
- Once accepted, notification will be provided by email to the presenting author, and the presenter must register for the conference, paying the applicable registration fee.
- You may not submit an abstract on behalf of someone else if you are not listed as one of the authors.
- You must obtain the approval of all co-authors before placing their names on the abstract. Failure to do so will result in the immediate rejection of the abstract.
- If you submit an abstract, you must be prepared to discuss essential details of your methods and results.
Abstracts must be received through electronic submission by the deadline. Photocopies, fax, or e-mail copies will not be accepted and will be discarded.
Abstracts for oral or poster presentations must be submitted on-line via the abstract submission module or by email (email@example.com). The deadline for receipt of the abstracts is 30 September 2018. You will receive by email an acknowledgement of receipt upon the successful submission of your abstract.
Format and structure requirements
Submissions that do not meet the following abstract structure requirements will not be taken into consideration. The abstract text body should range between 200 and 400 words (excluding title and author information). Titles are limited to 50 words. A maximum of one display item (table or figure in JPG, GIF or PNG with ideally 600 dpi) is allowed. A table counts as 10 words and a figure counts as 50 words. Abstracts under all topics and without exception should be structured as follows:
- Author information: List the first and last names of all co-authors, and include their affiliations, using numbered superscripts. Underline the presenting author;
- Background: Indicate the purpose and objective of the research, the hypothesis that was tested or a description of the problem being analyzed or evaluated;
- Methods: Describe the setting/location for the study, study design, study population, data collection, experiments conducted, and methods of analysis used;
- Results: Present as clearly and detailed as possible the findings/outcome of the study, with specific results in summarized form;
- Conclusions: Briefly discuss the data and main outcome of the study. Emphasize the significance and implications of the results.
Criteria for Abstract Acceptance
- The main factors considered by the Scientific Program Organizers in qualifying abstracts for acceptance are:
- The quality of the research
- The importance/significance of the topic to the conference
- The content of the abstract
- Adherence to formatting and submission criteria
- Abstracts may be rejected by the reviewers for the following reasons:
- No Hypothesis - The abstract does not clearly indicate the reason for conducting the research and the question being asked.
- Inadequate Experimental Methods - The investigators failed to describe procedures used or neglected to include important or essential controls.
- Insufficient Data Presented - The investigators failed to show the outcome(s) of their research, or insufficient data are presented to support the authors' conclusion(s).
- No Summary Form of Essential Results - The investigators failed to concisely summarize the result(s) of their research.
- No Conclusion - The investigators failed to describe the conclusions of their research with regard to the hypothesis being tested or questions being asked.
- Duplicate Abstract - The abstract contents substantively overlap with contents of another submitted abstract by the same author or co-author.
- Not Appropriate for the Conference - The content of the abstract is not relevant to the topic(s) of the Conference.
- Promotional in Nature - The abstract was written to promote a specific product or procedure on behalf of a specific company or organization.
- Poorly written - Improper use of the English language renders the abstract incomprehensible.
Notifications: Once an abstract has been received by the scientific committee, the only means of communication and notification of status will be by e-mail. Therefore, it is very important that a valid and current e-mail address be on record to help speed the notification process.
It is incumbent on the presenting author to notify the secretariat of an e-mail address or other contact information changes.
Oral presentations are limited to a 20-minute including discussion. Participants selected to give an oral presentation need to bring their presentation on USB to the One Health Conference business center at the speaker ready room. Please note that PowerPoint (.pptx) must be used. If necessary, last minute changes can be made in the speaker ready room. All abstracts will be published on-line on the conference web page.
Participants selected to give an oral or poster presentation must register to attend the conference. Only abstracts of participants who have registered and paid the registration fee before 1st November 2018, and who will attend the conference, will be published online. Please inform us as soon as possible if you cannot attend the conference.
Please note that there is no honorarium for participants selected to give an oral presentation.
Posters will be displayed throughout the meeting in the exhibition area. The poster size is A0 (84 cm - 118 cm), portrait format. Participants selected to give a poster presentation are required to attend their poster to answer questions during the poster-viewing sessions.
Participants selected to give an oral or poster presentation must register for the conference. Only abstracts of participants who have registered and paid the registration fee before 1st November 2018, and who will attend the conference, will be published online. Please inform us as soon as possible if you cannot attend the conference
Please note that there is no honorarium for participants selected to give a poster presentation.
INVITE YOUR COLLEAGUES
Download and print the 3rd National AMR Conference poster below to hang in your office or institution and invite your colleagues.
Conference fees: Nationals: UGX 70,000; Students: UGX 50,000; International Participants: USD 50.
ACCOUNT NAME: Makerere University College of Health Sciences Research
ACCOUNT NUMBERS: 9030008068061 (USD) OR 9030005655047 (UGX)
BANK: Stanbic Bank Uganda Ltd
Proposals are invited for exhibitions at the conference. The details can be obtained from the organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org
The details can be obtained from the organizers at email@example.com
The organizers have negotiated conference rates with Hotel Africana. At booking, please indicate that you are a delegate of AMR2018 conference. Access the hotel website at the link: http://www.hotelafricana.com/
Other hotels in the vicinity are:
Fairway Hotel: http://fairwayhotel.co.ug/
Imperial Group of Hotels: https://www.imperialhotels.co.ug/GrandImperialHotel.html
Humura Hotel: http://humurauganda.com/
Kabira Country Club: https://www.kabiracountryclub.com/
Speke Hotel, Kampala: https://www.spekehotel.com/
Golf Course Hotel: http://www.golfcoursehotel.com/
Metropole Hotel: http://www.metropolekampala.com/
Sheraton Hotel, Kampala: http://www.sheratonkampala.com/
Kampala Serena Hotel: https://www.lhw.com/hotel/kampala-serena-hotel-kampala-uganda
Pearl of Africa Hotel: http://sovereignhotels.co.za/hotels/pearl-of-africa/