Position: Health Economics Officer, STREAM-2 (The Evaluation of a Standardized Treatment Regimen of Anti-Tuberculosis Drugs for Patients with MDR-TB) TRIAL PROJECT.
Reports to: Site Principal Investigator
Makerere University Lung Institute (MLI) is a center of excellence for Lung Health in the Makerere University College of Health Sciences. MLI in collaboration with MRC UK and the International Union against TB and Lung Disease and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) are conducting a multidrug resistant TB (MDR TB) clinical trial called STREAM Trial. The STREAM Trial incorporates a health economics sub study. The main aim of the health economics component is to assess the impact of alternative treatment regimens for Multi-drug-resistant Tuberculosis on patient and health system costs, patient health-related quality of life, and the financial and socioeconomic wellbeing of patients and their families.
The Health Economics Officer will be responsible for the Health Economics component of the STREAM Trial in Uganda. He/she will be involved in all stages of health economic data collection: identifying and listing cost components for each part of the treatment process, testing and refining the data collection tools, ensuring timely and accurate data collection, assembling the data, addressing inconsistencies and missing data, contributing to the report writing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure activities related to the Health Economic component of the STREAM trial are coordinated with the main trial.
- Providing reports as appropriate to the LSTM on planned activities and project progress.
- Developing and pretesting cost instruments such as patient costing questionnaires.
- Be responsible for the collection of health economics data
- Performing data entry for health systems costing data
- With technical assistance from the STREAM HE team, developing a patient and system cost model for the STREAM Study intervention.
- Analyzing all cost data by cost components
Qualifications and skills
- Bachelors’ degree in a science field.
- A Masters’ in a Health related field with at least 2/3years’ work experience in health economics. A Masters in health economics is an added advantage.
- Applicant should have skills in research, data collection and analysis; cost effectiveness, training, report writing as well as excellent communication.
- Fluency in English, Luganda and Kiswahili.
- 1-year contract with possibility of renewal based on performance.
- Competitive salary
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, submit a 3 page Curriculum vitae to Makerere University Lung Institute via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with copy to (jmukwaba@gmail. com). Indicate, “STREAM Health Economics Officer” in the subject line.
Deadline: Thursday 22nd March 2018 at 5:00pm
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.