Makerere University College of Health Sciences, School of Public Health aims at promoting and attainment of better health for the people of Uganda and beyond through training in Public Health and Research. This is being achieved through global partnerships which support access to high quality learning and also create the right enabling environment to achieve appropriate and sustainable training outcomes.
Makerere University School of Public Health with support from the German Academic Exchange Service program (DAAD), is offering partial scholarships to 6 Masters and 3 PhD students with effect from 1st September 2016. The Masters students should be from School of Public Health programmes namely; Masters in Health Services Research (MHSR), Masters in Public Health - Full time (MPH-FT), Masters of Public Health in Disaster Management (MDM) and Masters in Public Health Nutrition (MPHN) programs, 2016/2017 intake.
Duration and Commencement
Scholarships are available for up to a maximum of two years (Master) and three years (PhD) respectively. The scholarship will be initially granted for one year and may be extended upon individual request and receipt of a complete application by using the provided form
DAAD will pay for tuition fees to the university according to the submitted fees structure and a monthly stipend to the scholarship holder (covering cost of living including accommodation). In addition, the scholarship holder will receive an annual study and research allowance paid in local currency and equivalent to EUR 230.0 for masters and EUR 920.0 for PhD scholarship holders. In the final year of study, DAAD will pay a lump sum to scholarship holders in order to cover thesis production costs.
In addition to the specific application university requirements, DAAD also requires the following:
1. The last university degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
2. Citizenship of a country in sub-Saharan Africa
3. Applicant must demonstrate outstanding academic performance at BachelorÔÇÖs and / or MasterÔÇÖs degree qualification
4. For PhD scholarships: Proof of employment as member of staff from a public or private university (Teaching or Research Staff)
5. Filled and signed DAAD Application Form (to be downloaded filled and uploaded in the DAAD Portal upon your shortlisting by the University / institution) and establishment of an account)
6. Signed curriculum vitae; please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
7. A signed copy of this DAAD Information Sheet for Students
8. Certified copies of all university degree certificates
9. Certified copies of all university transcripts
10. At least temporary admission letter from Makerere University including fee structure of respective course (original or certified copy only), or an official letter assuring admission
In addition to the above, Master candidates should submit:
11. Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
12. Academic reference from a senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (original only)
In addition to the above, PhD candidates should submit:
1. Ph.D. research proposal focusing on Health Services Research, Public health and a detailed work plan (10 to 15 pages); please note that plagiarism will be checked!
2. Recommendation letter by head of department indicating that you are a present or prospective member of staff and how you will be integrated into the staff development agenda of the university (original only)
3. Confirmation of study leave from your university (if applicable)
4. Confirmation of teaching release (university staff members only)
The scholarship is initially granted for one year and may be extended upon individual request and receipt by using a form to be availed at the appropriate by DAAD. The application for renewal has to be submitted at least one month before the scholarship period expires.
The following are also encouraged to apply;
1. Faculty and Research Fellows from accredited public/private universities
2. International students
3. Candidates from hard to reach areas in Uganda
4. Females and Persons With Disabilities
The deadline for PHD interested persons has been extended to 29th March 2016. Send your applications to:
Makerere University School of Public Health,
College of Health Sciences, Makerere University,
P.O. Box 7072,
Dr. Simon Kasasa (Acting Coordinator), Email: email@example.com /+256-772-376202
For administrative information contact, Ms Max Walusimbi (Administrator), Email: firstname.lastname@example.org /+256-772-449555
Applicants should indicate which program they are applying for and submit to Room 215, Level 2, Makerere University School of Public Health building.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.