Job Title: Innovations and Knowledge Translation Coordinator
Reports to: Principal, MakCHS
Classification: Open-ended but initially fixed term, full time contract
Job purpose Summary
Makerere University College of Health Sciences core business is to train health workers, conduct research and provide healthcare services to community. Innovations that emerge from the above business can improve training, healthcare delivery. The Innovations and Knowledge Translation (IKT) office provides support to staff, students and researchers at MakCHS to convert innovations and research findings into policies or practices that support health care decisions.
1. Provide strategic guidance for activities related to converting MakCHS knowledge assets into actions that influence health policy and practice.
2. Create opportunities for linkage between researchers and decision makers in order to accelerate the use of scientific research in decision making.
3. Support scientists to translate their research findings and innovations into versions that convey clear messages for the intended lay consumers.
4. Support MakCHS├ö├ç├û Intellectual Property Protection processes
5. Participate in knowledge translation initiatives within MakCHS and beyond in order to widen networks of influence for use of science in health decision making.
6. Conduct operational research to improve the uptake of research into practice.
7. Deliver (implement) the MakCHS IKT strategic plan 2012-2017
8. Any other related business as may be assigned by the supervisor
1. A first or higher degree in a health related field, at least four years of research experience including research to policy engagements Or a first degree in a communications related field with postgraduate training in a health related field with four years of research uptake coordination.
2. Strong advocacy and networking experience
3. Knowledge of Intellectual Property Protection processes is an added advantage
Other necessary skills
1. Strong negotiation skills
2. Good people relations
3. Experience working a multi-cultural environment
4. Excellent writing skills
5. Mastery of the English language. Other commonly spoken local and international languages is an added advantage
Please submit your applications accompanied with detailed curriculum vitae, two letters of recommendation and photocopies of academic certificates and transcripts to:
Makerere University College of Health Sciences
1st Floor, Clinical Research Building, Publication and Information Center
P.O Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda
Tel: +256 414 530021
Application deadline: Friday 30th May 2014 (5:00pm)
Only short listed applicants will be contacted