MESAU-MEPI a Consortium composed of Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Gulu University,
Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Kampala International University and Johns Hopkins
University will support 15 competitive research proposals to faculty within the MESAU-MEPI Consortium from
01st February 2012. The awards will be based on the following criteria:
1. Proposals should be within your institutional research agenda
2. Multidisciplinary proposals are highly recommended
3. Preference will be given to applications that demonstrate a mix of junior and senior faculty for
4. Proposals involving more than one MESAU institution are welcome
5. The Principal Investigator (PI) must be bonafide faculty of a MESAU-MEPI consortium institution
6. Applications must be recommended by the heads/authority of the PIÔÇÖs institution.
Applicants must provide 1-2 page CVs of all investigators with no more than five recent publications. The lead
applicant must also provide a Letter of Good Standing from the immediate Head of Department or the
institutional head regarding the applicantÔÇÖs ability to manage research funds.
The proposal should not exceed 12 pages excluding references and the budget. The proposal should include:
1. Title and affiliation page ÔÇô 1 page. This page will have the project title (not exceeding 20 words); Names
of the applicant(s), their qualifications and their affiliation(s); e-mail address and telephone (mobile)
2. Abstract of the research proposal not more than 300 words (on a separate page) ÔÇô structured as Aim,
problem, methods, and impact
3. The main body of the proposal outlined as: introduction/background; problem statement; rationale;
significance; objectives; methods; analysis plan; ethical considerations; timeline; budget with budget
justification; and recent relevant references. Please note that the funds are for a period of 12 months from
the time of award. This time period must be taken into consideration while designing your study.
It is important to note that, publication(s) will be the main deliverable of this grant. By the time of submitting
a report of your project not later than 3 months after completion of the project (i.e. by month 15 after the
award), there must be evidence that you have submitted a manuscript or manuscripts to peer reviewed
While the maximum funds to be awarded to any proposal is $12,500, the actual amount to be awarded
will however be decided on a case by case basis.
Proposals to be submitted to the PI MESAU-MEPI by e-mail either as MS word or pdf document by 21st
December 2011 5pm to email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information can
be obtained from Assoc. Prof. Celestino Obua Deputy Principal, MakCHS, E-mail: email@example.com.
Copy to Ms Harriet Nambooze firstname.lastname@example.org